This is the story of me, Ethan Maxwell, the newborn son of Andrew and Sylvia. It will follow my journey through life from my Mommy's tummy to my birth on May 17, 2007 and beyond. Then Daddy will make it my personal diary for family and friends. Hope you enjoy the ride with me.

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Good-Bye Opa Messer 1917-2008

Hey Everyone:

Today is a very sad day for my Mommy. She said God called her grandpa, Opa Wilhelm Messer, to His side. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to meet my Great Opa Messer, he lived in Germany, where Mommy was born, and I have not been there yet. What makes this more upsetting for mommy is that she cannot go to Germany for the funeral because she is still recovering from her surgery. She cannot lift anything over 10lbs for 8 weeks - that includes me as well as any luggage.

Mommy says that Opa helped raise her when she would go to Germany for the summers as a child, and he and Oma (grandma) still lived in the same house that he was born in over 90 years ago. They have been married for 66 years! Now Oma has to go on without her beloved husband which makes mommy very sad too.

Mommy said Opa was a very good pilot and he was also worked at Merck. Here are some pictures of my Great Opa Messer:

Daddy took this one of him back in 2002

Opa and Oma were married over 60 years, she was a nurse. Daddy took this photo back in 2004. She survives him.

Mommy and her Opa back in 2002

Mommy, her Opa, her Oma and Daddy at their house in Pfungstadt, Germany in 2002
Needless to say my Mommy is very sad. I told her in my own way that I love her and I hope she will be okay. I also hope my Opa Gerhard is okay now that his Daddy is gone. I also send my love to Uncle Pat, mommy's younger brother.

Love to my Great Opa Messer. I am so sorry to have never had the opportunity to meet you.

Ethan Maxwell

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Sorry for your loss......Me

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your Opa, Sylvia.